Great American Smokeout this Thursday
Tobacco Free Spokane Says "Give Up Cigarettes for One Day" During the Great American Smokeout
The Great American Smokeout has been helping smokers kick the habit for more than 30 years. This year the Great American Smokeout is November 19. Tobacco Free Spokane will provide information on how to stop smoking at the following locations:
- Rockwood Valley Clinic – a smoke free campus, 8am–2pm
- Group Health Riverfront Medical Center – provides access to cessation services, 8am–2pm
- Iron Horse Bar in Coeur d'Alene – a non-smoking bar even though the state would allow it, 4pm–6pm
- Wash. State Dept. of Health free Quit Line – call 1-800-QUIT-NOW, 7 days a week from 5am–9pm. Callers receive support, a customized quit plan, and skills designed to break old habits.
According to the American Cancer Society, smoking accounts for an estimated 443,000 premature deaths each year. Half of all Americans who continue to smoke will die from smoking-related diseases. The Health District offers these keys for quitting:
- Get support and encouragement: Spread the word that you are quitting, and seek support through friends, family or cessation counseling.
- Learn new skills and behaviors: Change your routines, try to reduce stress, distract yourself from urges to smoke, drink lots of water, and do something else instead of smoking.
- Get medication and use it correctly: Talk with your health care provider about which cessation medication will work best for you.
- Be prepared for relapse or difficult situations: Avoid alcohol, eat healthy, stay active, and don't give up. Be willing to try again – it does get easier.
Interview opportunities: Spokane Regional Health District will arrange interviews for media wishing to talk with someone who has stopped smoking. Please contact Jennifer Hansen at 324-1452. For morning show interviews please contact Angela Matson with Group Health at 241-7146. For interviews on free cessation classes offered by CHER Community Health Education and Resources contact Samantha Roberts at 232-8138.
Tobacco Free Spokane is an advisory board to the Health District's Tobacco Prevention and Control Program that helps guide program activities focusing on policy change, advocating for a tobacco-free community through the media, and supporting a wide range of activities aimed at reducing the purchase and use of tobacco. Call (509) 324-1553 for information.
The Great American Smokeout is an annual event of the American Cancer Society, made possible locally through the support of Group Health, Rockwood Clinic, American Cancer Society, North Idaho Tobacco Free Coalition and Pfizer.